Monday, August 24, 2009

The Quilt Gardens

This past weekend I visited several of the Quilt Gardens in Northern Indiana. The gardens are located in the towns of Elkhart, Middlebury, Shipshewana, Goshen, Nappanee and Wakarusa. The gardens are designed to look like quilt patterns and are planted with lots of flowers. The gardens have around 80,000 annual flowers that are planted to make up the designs.
The Center Diamond Quilt - This garden is 40 x 60 feet in size and contains 7,728 flowers. The flowers are white and pink Begonias, Marigolds and Lobelias. It took 7 people, 84 hours over two days to plant the garden.




















If you would like to visit the Quilt Gardens or see more pictures visit their web site at http://www.amishcountry.org/quiltgardens/
Happy Gardening!
The Creative Gardener



8 comments:

Janet said...

How cool Debbie! I am sending the link to my quilting sister (who probably already knows about this!)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Those are really pretty. I bet it would be fun doing all the planning for one of them.

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Oh, how beautiful! Such a terrific idea and it is wonderful to see so many participate in it. The last picture is so gorgeous.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Lovely display of flowers. We tend to appreciate more knowing the effort behind its creation, the sheer number of manhours...
~bangchik

lynn'sgarden said...

Debbie, this was a weekend? I'm shocked there's no crowd! My favorite is the first one...the Diamond Quilt. Just amazing! Thanks for sharing ;)

Miss Daisy said...

Spectacular! I've NEVER heard of such gardens and they are so beautiful and creative! The colors are incredibly vibrant! What a great outing!

Jill-O said...

You know, I'm only about an hour away from Shipshewanna. I think I need to take a day off from work (I'll go on a flea market day) and take a drive on down.

mothernaturesgarden said...

What a delightful idea the quilt gardens are!
Donna