Monday, September 21, 2009

From Something Old To Something New


This past winter my gazebo roof was damaged during a storm. I didn't want to replace it or send what was left of the gazebo to the landfill. I had just planted a flower bed around the gazebo and to replace it with a new gazebo would mean removing part of the garden. Since replacement parts were no longer available, I need to come up with a new plan for the remains of the gazebo. After removing what was left of the roof, I purchased treated 16 foot boards and created a special decorative cut on the ends of the boards. I then added slots to the boards to fit over the frame of the gazebo. Once the boards were placed on top they formed a new roof. Now I have a pergola. I planted wisteria vines on the corners of the pergola and by next summer I should have a nice new green roof with fragrant wisteria flowers.
Happy Gardening!
The Creative Gardener

3 comments:

Janet said...

looks like a good fix. Time with the wisteria will make it look even better.

Rosey Pollen said...

Great idea, and it looks spectacular!
I have many a structure get destroyed by wind but they are not even pretty like garden architecture, it's the trampoline that the wind likes to beat up.
Rosey

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

What a great idea. I like the metal columns, very decorative and different from most peoples wooden ones. And the metal furniture is gorgeous!