Sunday, September 6, 2009

Latex Free Bamboo Gardening Gloves

The last couple of days I have not been gardening. My doctor said that I could not play in the dirt due to an allergy to my gardening gloves. I have an allergy to latex and my gardening gloves make my hands look terrible. The purpose of gloves are to protect my hands from splinters, thorns, dirt and all the other things that we gardener come in contact with in the garden. I have a vast collection of gloves, most of which make me itch, swell and make my hands look like dry prunes.

Latex is a natural rubber that comes from the rubber tree Hevea brasiliensis. Many gardening gloves are coated with latex rubber. Since I garden professionally, my hands come in contact with this product regularly.

I just found a new type of gardening glove called "The ROC" by HandMaster. The glove provides UV protection, are antibacterial, anti-fungal, wicks moisture away from my hands and are breathable. They allow me to pick and weed out even the smallest of weeds. They are coated with Nitrile, which is a replacement for latex rubber, which does not cause allergic reactions. Nitrile gloves are being used by many nurses and doctors in the medical field who are allergic to latex. The gloves are also 100 % Bamboo which is a fast growing, sustainable resource that is environmentally friendly. The medication and the gloves are working and my hands are looking better than they have for a long time.

If you have allergies to latex, you might want to give Nitrile gloves a try in the garden.
Did you know - That if you are allergic to latex that studies are now showing a link to allergies of potatoes, kiwi, bananas, avocados, chestnuts, tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables.

Happy Gardening!

The Creative Gardener




Do have have allergy problems in the garden? Share your story in the comment section.

6 comments:

Miss Daisy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your allergy! Did it just start recently? Glad you found out what it is so you can be safe now and it's good to know when you go to hospitals and personnel use latex gloves. If you are interested, I'm having a giveaway at my site (a couple of posts back). Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Rosey Pollen said...

No gloves have given me problems, but my dang allergies this year from pollen are the worst yet! I usually don't take medicine, but this year, I have to!
Glad to know that you can get gloves that are not made with rubber!
Rosey

Janet said...

Wow Debbie, I will have to send this off to my daughter, she is allergic to latex. Great post.

Guantes DE Nitrilo said...

Wow! this is great, i was also suffering from the same problem but know i got the the solution. Thanks allot.

Jeringas de insulina said...

Thanks for sharing. I hope it will be helpful to many people that are searching for this topic. Keep posting guys and keep this forum a great place to learn things.

johans miller said...

Hello Friend,
I just came to your post and reading the above thing, it is very impressive and it is a very nice blog. and attractive tips in this blog.its content writing very interesting.I’ve been looking for something like this.
Latex Examination Gloves
Best Regards,
Johansmiller