Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The "New Dawn" Rose





I have always admired roses. Over the years I have planted lots of roses, but always felt disappointed that they never looked the way that I had hoped they would for my garden. I pictured these beautiful roses on arbors, going up a tree or just this mass of fragrant flowers on this huge healthy bush. I started finding roses to be high maintenance and not worth the effort. I really did not care for or have the time for using sprays to control diseases.

Several years ago, I worked at a customer's home where she had beautiful roses trained on the side of her house. They were even growing up and over the roof. These were the roses that I wanted in my garden. I also had admired the roses that I had seen in several books written by P. Allen Smith. He wrote about the "New Dawn" rose in the book and I thought I would give it a try. I placed an order for it and waited for it's arrival. When it came it was small but what a fast grower. The picture above shows the rose in it's third year in the garden. Each year it gets bigger and better. Naturally I did purchase a second one for the garden last year.

"New Dawn" is a climbing rose that was patented in 1930 (the very first rose to get a patent) and it grows in zones 5-10. It has fragrant pale pink double blossoms in early summer that really puts on a good show of flowers. It also is a repeat bloomer. "New Dawn" has glossy foliage on canes that can grow to 25 feet. What I really like is that it is low maintenance and disease resistant. It also provides rose hips for winter interest and food for the squirrels and birds.

I now have changed my view of growing roses. I look for old garden roses and species roses that grow on their own root systems. I look for plants that are disease resistant, low maintenance and vigorous growers. Living in a home that is over 100 years old, I think that old roses work best for my landscape. I just ordered two more roses for the garden this year. One is "Cecile Brunner" and the other is "Buff Beauty". I guess the right roses can change your mind on growing roses.

Happy Gardening!

The Creative Gardener

4 comments:

Søren said...

We bought our summer house last summer, and there is a white climbing rose on the North side of the house and it's indomitable! I'm definitely doing my best to take cuttings from it and placing them all around the garden to see where it will thrive; I can always give some plants away if it should get out of hand.

Another rose in our garden is a rose that grew in the courtyard outside my city apartment, and as they started redoing the entire landscaping I went out and roughly pulled it from the soil with my hands, storing it in my apartment for a week, bare-root and at room temperature, last autumn. And it's shooting this spring and I think any rose that can handle such treatment will surely do well on its own.

On the other hand the house also came with two white renaissance-style roses... Much fussier, it seems, and while I will do a fair bit to keep them happy there are certainly limits. If that's not good enough for them, then they are free to perish!

Becca's Dirt said...

Roses are work but they are so beautiful. I am a little intimidated by them. I love roses but I haven't added any to my gardens yet. I like the arbor with the roses growing along it.

Donna said...

You have chosen some great roses...I too love the old ones but they are too iffy for my garden...can't wait to see your old roses as they grow and flower...

Sue said...

Hello, I love the New Dawn. I have one of more than 10 yrs old. I love it.
But where I am, I have to put it down every fall, to protect it, It's too cold here, around Montreal. I'm in zone 5 CAD, but USA zoning say it zone 3 ou 4.
And every spring I put it up. It a lot of work and very stressful to the plant.
And it got so big since I planted it.
I love roses too.