Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)


One of my favorite little spring flowers is Bloodroot or (Sanquinaria canadensis). It comes up early in my woodland garden with beautiful white flowers that just shine in the sunlight. Bloodroot grows from a thick reddish-brown rhizome. If this rhizome is broken or damaged it secretes a red liquid. Now you know how the plant got it's name "Bloodroot".

 
Bloodroot grows when the temperatures are cool in the garden, then it goes dormant until next spring. The plant grows in moist soil that is well drained and it prefers dabbled shade. It will spread in your garden by rhizomes or by seed. I started out with one small plant and between seeding and spreading, I now have lots of it growing in my woodland garden. You can propagate this plant by seed or division. If you are learning to identify native wildflowers, this one is easy to identify because of the unusual shaped leaf.
 
There is a double-flowered  Bloodroot that is in the nursery trade that is spectacular. I plan to add that one to my garden in the future. If you are looking for the double flowered Bloodroot look for Sanquinaria canadensis 'Multiplex'. 
 
Have a great spring and "Happy Gardening"!
 
Debbie

1 comment:

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Debbie I adore bloodroot too and am profiling it at the end of May...gorgeous pictures.