Friday, May 9, 2014

Celandine Poppy

 
Years ago, I visited a friend's woodland garden. She had a beautiful patch of these yellow blooming flowers that were very pretty. I never forgot those flowers. Several years ago I was given my first Celandine Poppy and over time that one little plant has provided me with plenty of new plants in my woodland garden.


Celandine Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum) grows in zones 4-8 and it is a native to the United States. It grows from 18 to 24 inches tall and blooms in the spring. The color of the foliage and flowers look great with ferns and other woodland beauties. Celandine Poppy is easy to recognize by it's oak-like shaped leaf. It prefers to grow in part shade in moist soil that is humus rich. Celandine Poppy blooms and makes fuzzy little seedpods that will be filled with seed. It will self sow and over several years you will have a beautiful patch of Celandine Poppy just like my friend had in her garden.

Happy Gardening!

Debbie

1 comment:

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Debbie I love this plant and had it in my woodland garden at the old house. I need to get some for this garden now.