Monday, October 13, 2014

Closing the Garden Down for Winter


It has been some time since I last wrote on my blog. It has been a busy spring, summer and now fall.  I went on a couple of week long vacations and attended a Garden Writers Association Symposium. I have been working on a home remodel and garden renovation that I am getting close to finishing. I have been trying to get as much done as possible for the arrival of our first grandchild that should happen in the next few days. Busy and exciting year and still lots to do before the first snow flies.

I have been starting to cut back the garden for the year. Due to lots of rain, the garden is out of control and overgrown. Last winter, I did not have the opportunity to work in the garden because of snow and cold weather. This year, I plan to remove some plants, cut plants back, prune larger plants and decide which plants need to be removed and relocated to new homes in the spring.

If your garden is starting to sound like mine, here are some ideas of what to do with those surplus plants and to prepare your garden for winter.

  • Take cutting of those plants that you wish to keep for next year. Give up the idea of trying to keep every annual or plant for next year.
  • Walk your garden and decide which shrubs and trees need to be pruned back in the garden.
  • If you have lots of volunteer plants or extra plants that you do not want, don't just throw them away. Ask friends or family members if they would like to have them for their gardens. I have already moved some plants and found new homes for others. I plan to tag the remaining plants in the garden that need to be removed, leave them in place till spring and then donate the plants to Master Gardener groups that may need plants for garden projects that they are working on.
  • If you are looking for homes for plants, check with local garden clubs, parks, or other organizations that can put your plant surplus to good use. Many organizations do not have money in their budgets for plants and will appreciate the donation.
Start cleaning up that garden for winter and I hope everyone has a great year!


Happy Gardening!
Debbie

No comments: