Friday, June 26, 2015

Moving a Garden

The new garden in North Carolina.
 
In my last blog post, I mentioned that I would show you how to move a garden. I spent time studying both of my gardens and making plans on how I would tackle the problems of moving garden plants from Indiana to North Carolina. I cannot take everything in my current garden and there are some plants that I would not want to move. Over the 13 years of building my Indianapolis garden, there are some plants that I have got tired of, are thugs, volunteers or plants that are at a size making them difficult to move. My new garden is far smaller than my current garden and I can't use or need everything. I am very selective as what will be moved to the new garden. I also need to leave a garden with the house when it sells and hope that someone will enjoy it as much as I have.
 
I studied the weather of the new garden including rainfall, temperatures and temperature extremes. I also reviewed the plants in my current garden as to which plants could survive temperatures and sun in a much warmer zone and without always having water available to them. I do not have an irrigation system in the new garden. I also reviewed which plants can grow in my new plant zone. I can actually grow more different types of plants in my new garden than I could in my Indianapolis garden. Which makes the garden move worth it. 
 
Plants that have root systems that can hold water longer were moved first and they have been surviving in the new garden with only rainfall. I also moved aquatic plants that could live in containers of water to the new garden. I have not spent much time weeding or removing old leaves from the garden because the old leaves have helped retain soil moisture for the plants. Each time I leave the garden to return home, I make sure everything is watered heavy and hope for rain while I am gone.
 
The fountain repaired and filled with water.
 
My first plan for the new garden was cleaning it up, making repairs, starting the new fish pond and moving the plants. Some plans will take longer than others, but it all will slowly get completed.

I have a beautiful fountain in the garden, but it had a crack in the base and would not hold water. I spent several hours removing old paint, wire brushing and repairing the crack. I used silicone in the crack then sprayed a clear rubber sealant in the base. After it dried and cured, I filled it with water and it stopped leaking. I was very happy with the results. I was really happy that after four years of the fountain sitting in the snow and heat that the pump still worked. The fountain is beautiful in the garden.

 Digging a new pond for the garden.
 
My next project has been digging a new pond. I found a protected area and a site that would allow me to see the fish from the house. When I have the opportunity and need a break from painting inside the house, I go and dig. I dig early or late in the day when the temperatures are cooler. I hope to have the hole dug soon, the liner dropped and have the pond filled with water. If our house sells, I have a home for my fish and I can always do the stone work later. I hope to have this project finished soon.

Digging up a favorite daylily to move.
 
Back home in Indianapolis, I have been preparing the plants that I want to move. I am limited in the size of plants and age of plants that will be moved. Many small trees and shrubs that I wanted to keep were dug when they were dormant and transplanted into containers. They have been surviving in containers for several months. Many perennials that I want were dug up or I took a division of the plant, leaving the mother plant behind. I dug many plants early in the season or I have allowed them to flower. Flowering allowed me to make sure I have the correct plant since my memory of where I have planted things over 13 years isn't that good and many plant labels have disappeared over the years.
 
When I dig a perennial or take a division, I pot or bag the plant root ball. The hard part is cutting the plant back. The plant will be easier to move, transport, replant and reestablish as a smaller size. I label all the containers and bags with the plant name or flower color. 

Cutting the plant back in size is hard, but it will make the transition much easier for the plant. I can enjoy it again next year.

All bagged up, watered and labeled.


These plants are ready for their 8 hour trip to the new garden.

I keep the plants watered and the night before the trip, I load the plants in the truck. The truck area is enclosed to protect the plants from wind and heat damage on the trip to the new garden. Once I arrive to the new garden, I start the process of planting and watering. This process of moving plants will continue till all the plants arrive to the new garden.

I hope you have a great gardening season and please check back on my progress with the new garden. Have a question? Send me a comment!
 
Happy Gardening!
 
Debbie


No comments: