Sunday, February 28, 2016

Designing the New Garden

I have had time to clean up the existing garden and to take a good look at it. The garden is a shrub garden on the side (near the top) of a mountain. My soil is clay and sand with lots of different types of quartz and granite. I have lots of trees and I can start a compost area for improving the soil. I have added additional flowering shrubs and perennials to the garden. I also have added a fish pond that my husband and I installed. The bones are good and I have lots of ideas!

In this post, we will take a tour of the garden and I will share some of my plans and ideas for it.
I plan to enlarge the garden and the new garden entrance will now begin at the gate in the upper picture at the top of the hill.

 
From the gate, a path takes you down hill to a creek area with a bridge. On the left side will be a large shaded bed for hybridizing hellebores. This garden will have a Japanese theme. I will need to add steps to this area due to how steep it is.


 
 The creek area is really a drain pipe that removes water runoff down the mountain. The creek needs some cleaning out of collected debris but it will look natural when I am done with it.

 
There are many different types of mosses in the area and I plan to age the creek with moss. At some point the creek will be green and alive as a moss garden. The garden path which will be mulch, now turns and heads towards the woodland fairy garden.

 
Here is one of the many types of moss that grows around the area and in the garden.
 
As you leave the creek area you are now at the lower existing garden. I am adding a shaded fairy garden to this section filled with woodland plants like ferns, hellebores, and other shade loving perennials. The large round cement container is a fairy garden. The path in this area is gravel.


Some of the retaining wall in the upper picture will need to be replaced due to rot. I would like to replace it with a material that allows me to plant ferns and other small plants into the wall.

 
From the woodland garden you now enter the sunny area where I have planted a butterfly perennial garden. I do have several decorative bird feeders, but I do not keep food in them. In this area, we are asked not to feed the birds due to bears and snakes. To the right you can see part of the beautiful mountain view in the garden.

 
At the end of the gravel path is the new fish pond and a large fountain. The fish pond is kept covered  this time of year with a leaf net. I will be adding a protective wire covering to the pond to protect the fish from bears.


The two large rocks support a stone bench top that I am moving to the fish pond area. The rock bench existed in the garden, but I need some extra help to lift the heavy stone seat. When the bench is in place you can sit and enjoy the fish pond. The pond has a biofalls for keeping the water in good condition.


At the pond area you find the old existing steps that takes you back up the hill to the house. The steps needed some repair due to loose stones. That task was completed early in my garden work.


Next to the steps on the right of the hill is my rose garden. I have planted it with climbers, drift and carpet roses.

That is the new garden and my ideas. When the weather permits, I spend the day working on it and on cold or days with rain, I am inside painting and remodeling. I am really loving where I live and I look forward to sharing my life on the mountain in my blog. I live in Lake Lure, North Carolina, which is one of the most beautiful lakes and areas to live in. If you saw the movie "Dirty Dancing" then you have seen Lake Lure. Stop and check back on my blog for all the beautiful sights, waterfalls, garden shows and other things the area has to offer. If you live in the area, please leave a comment in the comment section on garden shows, garden tours or gardens to visit in the area. I am looking forward to seeing all that North Carolina has to offer.

Happy Gardening!
Debbie

No comments: