Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Moving, Moving Fish and the New Garden

 
 
I admit, I have not written for awhile. Life has been very busy with traveling between Indiana and North Carolina, remodeling one house, keeping the other house ready for showings, keeping one large garden neat and trying to install a new garden. Between traveling, LOTS of cleaning and LOTS of painting, the spring, summer and fall flew by. When I look back over the last nine months, I feel that I did not accomplish much until I look at the results and know better. Now to update you on what has happened. The garden is planted and the plants are establishing. Weeding, mulching and additional design work will come this spring. I did move my fish and I thought I would tell you how I did it.
 
 
The first job was to dig a new pond, since the new garden did not have a pond. It took several days to dig and with the help of my husband, we got the job done. The new location allows me to see the fish from the house and provides a protected area for them.



After getting the pond dug, I leveled the soil around the pond. I also removed rocks, roots and other items that could damage the new liner.
 

The liner was installed and I filled the pond with water. I did not installed rock around the pond due to how late it was getting in the year and not having enough time to complete the job. The pond was allowed to sit with the new water for several weeks before the fish were delivered to their new home.

 
I used an old cooler that was double lined with heavy duty trash bags. This was designed to prevent any possible spills of water during the 8 to 9 hour trip. The fish were moved late in the season and the water temperature had already dropped enough that the fish did not need to be fed anymore. If you move fish when they are active, cut off food to them at least 3 days before the move. This eliminates waste build up in the water. It took three different trip to North Carolina to move all of my fish.

 
Since we left early in the morning, the fish were captured the evening before. I only took a few fish at a time to protect them during transport. Once the fish arrived to the new pond, I took them straight to the new pond for release and monitoring. The pond was covered with a large net to prevent leaves and other animals from getting into the water.


 
The fish seem very happy in their new home. I do have some alarms surrounding the garden to keep animals out of the garden and pond.

 
When the fish were loaded in the cooler, I added a battery operated air stone to provide air during the night and during the journey to their new home. The batteries would be changed out to fresh ones just before we hit the road. I would check on the fish during rest stop breaks along the way. Every fish made it to the pond alive and happy to get out of the cooler.

 
After the fish were in the pond the pond net was secured for winter. I will continue to check on the fish until I open it back up in the spring. I worried about moving the fish, but found that it was easier then I thought it would be. This spring, I will complete the work on the pond.

Update - All moved in and getting lots of indoor work done. The move took place just before a winter storm hit the mountains. I can't wait for some warmer days to start working in the new garden and I can now get back to writing again!


Happy Gardening!

Debbie

No comments: