Sunday, June 12, 2016

Chinese Lizard's Tail


The other day, I was walking in the park and I saw this plant. It was a beautiful clump that was about 36 inches tall and about 4 feet wide. In the sun, the white color in the leaves just glowed. The markings of white to green on the leaves was very unusual and nothing that I had ever seen before. I took a picture, went home and started searching on the Internet for the plant. After about an hour of searching, I found it. It is called Chinese Lizard's Tail or (Saururus chinensis).

The plant grows between 2 to 4 feet and can grow in the sun or part shade. It grows along ponds, swamps, marshes, and streams in zones 5 to 11. It produces a fragrant white flower from June to September. It is deer resistant and the bees enjoy the nectar from the flowers. This plant spreads by rhizomes and needs to be growing in shallow water up to 6 inches deep around a pond, lake, river or it can be grown in a container water garden.

This is a striking plant to see and much nicer than common green leafed Lizard's Tail. This may be a plant that I add to my water garden just for the striking foliage.

Happy Gardening!
Debbie

I started a new project in the garden today with the help of my husband. We are building stairs down the slope to the garden. The stairs will make it easier to go up and down from the lower garden. Check back on our progress!

No comments: