Saturday, June 25, 2016

Critters, Drought and Gardening

Deer damage to a hosta plant.
Gardening this year has been interesting. I have been spending time working on the hardscape and planting additional plants to fill out the garden. I had great expectations for the garden this year and I hoped I would see blooms and good growth, but Mother Nature has not been helping.

The area that I live in is a thermal belt with cooler summers and warmer winters and normally 56 inches of rain per year. That works out to be 1 inch plus per week. Not this year. Spring did not bring lots of rain and my plants did not grow as tall as they should have. We are now in a moderate drought and each day they forecast rain, but it just does not come. The temperature and humidity is really high and it is not pleasant to be outside. I have been watering to keep the garden alive.

The deer have found my garden and one deer did lots of damage to hostas, lilies, roses, hydrangeas and containers of annuals. I am now spraying the garden to keep the deer out. The pictures show the deer damage to my plants.

Deer damage to my container and oakleaf hydrangea.


No lilies this year!

Deer damage to my rose garden.


I was very happy that my tomatoes were doing very well. They are located in containers on the second floor deck. I have squirrels who has found the tomatoes and they have been eating on them.

Squirrel damage
Then came the tomato hornworms. They found the tomatoes and have been feasting on the vines.

Tomato hornworms

A very large tomato hornworm enjoying my heirloom tomatoes. This hornworm is about 5 inches long.

This is what tomato hornworms do to your tomato vines.

I am trying to have a positive attitude about the garden. I know during drought, that animals need food and my garden provided that. I know that if I keep watering the garden, it will survive and that there is always next year for those blooms.

I am now spraying the plants to keep the deer away and it seems to be working. I am using a product that is all natural called Deer Out.  The hornworms are another story. They are hand picked and given a toss down the mountain!

Happy Gardening!

Debbie

No comments: