Sunday, August 7, 2016

The Art of Bonsai


I recently posted that I had visited the North Carolina Arboretum. My favorite part of the Arboretum was seeing the Bonsai Collection. I find the art of creating a tree to miniature, recreating a miniature landscape and caring for that tree for generations to be very interesting. Here are just some of the bonsai trees in the North Carolina Arboretum collection. I hope you find them as beautiful as I did.

For those of you who are new to the term Bonsai, it translates to tree-in-a-pot. It is an art form of creating a miniature tree that would in nature be full size. Bonsai started in China then moved to Japan and other countries. When their are several trees in a container, miniature landscape or nature scene, it is called Penjing or "landscape in a tray". You will see examples of both in the pictures.














If you are ever in North Carolina, stop by the North Carolina Arboretum and spend the day. You will enjoy it.

Happy Gardening!

Debbie

I just returned from a short trip to Florida. On the way back home we stopped at a bonsai store and guess who returned home with a small bonsai? Me! I have got the bonsai bug for more!!!!

No comments: