Sunday, February 19, 2017

Life is Finally Slowing Down



The last time that I blogged was back in August 2016. With the move from Indiana to North Carolina, I have been busy remodeling the house, working on my North Carolina Master Gardener, volunteering, writing for the magazine and enlarging the garden. Everything has kept me very busy. I am now a North Carolina Master Gardener and I have completed the inside remodeling of the house and I hope that I do not see a paint brush for awhile.

The garden is now three times larger than it was and I have spent the winter doing all of the hardscape. Being from the north, the cold weather of 30 to 40 degrees is wonderful for moving gravel and mulch than the heat of the summer in North Carolina. My next big project is installing drip irrigation in the garden. Due to the summer heat and last years drought, my garden really could use drip irrigation and save me the time of dragging garden hoses around.

Other things that happened during the last few months was that I became a Rose Judge at Biltmore for the International Rose Trials. I really enjoyed myself and I felt very honored to have the opportunity to judge at Biltmore Estate. I will keep you updated on the 2017 Rose Trails. It should be exciting.

Another exciting event that happened in November and lasted nearly a month, was the Party Rock Fire here in Lake Lure, North Carolina. We had to leave our home for 11 days when the fires approached our neighborhood. It was very scary and I hope that I never see another fire again. The cost was 7.8 million to put it out and a month of smoke.

Here are a few pictures that I took of the fire.









Now that I have everything complete with the house, I can now enjoy gardening, volunteering and writing again. Check back for more at Garden Thyme with the Creative Gardener.

Happy Gardening!

Debbie

No comments: