Saturday, May 6, 2017

Spring in the Garden - 2017


This year is starting out to be a great year. After last years drought, we are finally getting rain and the garden is growing very well. I couldn't be more pleased. I thought I would bring you up to date on how the garden has changed in one year and the progress I have been making. In the upper picture you can see that I have added a walkway down to a new area which is the new rose garden. I had to remove lots of mountain laurel to open this area up. Off to the right and behind the shed is a small secret garden.
You can see the new shed that was added last year and a tree rose that is now in bloom.

The pathways were all graveled  including the new path that leads from the back of the house, up the hill and to the front of the house.

I currently have two rose gardens and both had drip irrigation added during the winter. The roses are starting to show lots of blooms.

This is the new perennial cutting garden and this year it is growing very well.

I have added lots of daylilies to the hill above the new retaining wall. I should have lots of color from daylilies this year with the addition of many new plants.

I added the new split rail fence to the garden that divides the perennial bed from the new rose garden. I have climbing roses planted on the fence.

This photo shows the lower new rose garden all planted with the butterfly bench for seating.

I added a cold frame and a small greenhouse for plant propagation. I still need to gravel the greenhouse floor and add shelving. Hopefully this weeks project.


This is a new area that I opened up and part of it is a woodland shade garden and Japanese garden.

I moved many of my mini hostas to containers due to deer and the dry conditions. They seem to be growing better in the container than the ground.

This is the new train garden. I have the plantings done but I still need to add the track. The round plastic area is the layout for the track during the planting process. The black tunnel will be covered with cement and will look like a small mountain tunnel for the train.

The fish pond is up and running with new plantings of elephant ears. The koi had been busy destroying the planting as fast as I add them. Still working on that problem.

It is hard to tell from this picture, but my garden sits down below the house on a hill and it looks out to a beautiful mountain view of Rumbling Bald Mountain.

Looks like 2017 is going to be a good year in my garden if the rain continues. If not, I have drip irrigation to fall back on. I have had a busy winter in the garden and I am happy the garden is starting to grow and produce. I hope you have a great summer in your garden!

Happy Gardening!
Debbie

No comments: