If you have not grown hostas or have lots of the old plain green hostas, add some of the newer cultivars of hosta to your garden. I think you will be happy with the results. Here are a few hosta design suggestions:
- Mix the leaf colors in the garden. Leaf colors come in varied shades of green, blues, yellows, white and many mixed colors.
- Allow the hosta to reach it's mature size and do not divide very often.
- Select plants that have different bloom times for a long season of flowers.
- Add some hostas with fragrance.
- Add shorter hostas to the front of beds and the taller hostas to the back of the bed.
- Hostas make great plants for containers. Try starting a trough garden of dwarf hostas.
- Blue hostas will loose their blue color if they receive to much sun or rain. The blue color comes from a wax like coating on their leaves that can be removed by the elements leaving your hosta "green". Don't worry, the color will be back the next year.
Happy Gardening and don't forget to vote for all your favorite blogs for the Blotanical Awards!
The Creative Gardener
Have a topic that you would like to read about? Let me know in the comment section.